by M.L. Brennan
Series: Generation V #4
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Setting: New England–mainly Rhode Island
Published by Roc, 2015
Synopsis: After a lifetime of avoiding his family, Fort has discovered that working for them isn’t half bad—even if his mother, Madeline, is a terrifying, murderous vampire. His new found career has given him a purpose and a paycheck and has even helped him get his partner, foxy kitsune Suzume, to agree to be his girlfriend. All in all, things are looking up.
Only, just as Fort is getting comfortable managing a supernatural empire that stretches from New Jersey to Ontario, Madeline’s health starts failing, throwing Fort into the middle of an uncomfortable and dangerous battle for succession. His older sister, Prudence, is determined to take over the territory. But Fort isn’t the only one wary of her sociopathic tendencies, and allies, old and new, are turning to him to keep Prudence from gaining power.
Now, as Fort fights against his impending transition into vampire adulthood, he must also battle to keep Prudence from destroying their mother’s kingdom—before she takes him down with it….
“That’s different,” she noted. “That’s us being our own buddy cop movie, and it’s awesome. I mean, jeez, I got to punch a seal in the face. That was basically a lifetime achievement unlocked right there….”
I’d never exactly wanted a reputation–frankly, I’d spent most of my life just trying to fade into the background of almost every situation I was in–but I’d apparently, despite my best efforts, secured one for myself. Fortitude Scott–Holy Shit, We’re Glad You’re Not Your Sister.
- Has quickly become one of my favorite series! One of my most anticipated books this year.
- The title Dark Ascension hints at the events which happen during this book. That, along with earlier books gives some ideas about what the book is about. I like that anticipation before I even start!
- I started out savoring the first half of the book and then racing through the second half! Have I mentioned I love this series?
- I love that Fort tries to stay true to his beliefs even through difficult times and as heads ever closer to vampire adulthood.
- Fort has to make hard choices and in some cases there just aren’t any “good” choices.
- I love Fort and Suzume. Great characters and I like how they’ve changed since the first book. Their interactions with each other and their care for each other are highlights in this book.
- Suzume continues with her kitsune awesomeness!
- Fort’s brother and sister–Chivalry and Prudence–are interesting characters. Each is a vampire, but they’ve chosen different paths to deal with that.
- The way Fort’s mother tries to have Prudence, Chivalry and Fort work together is interesting, funny and irritating for the three of them.
- I’m not sure how Fort can realistically hold onto his ideals. But this whole series is about his growth into adulthood. So we’ll see how he handles that.
- Is there a future for Suzume and Fort?
And a few thoughts . . .
- So much happens and changes in this book. I can’t wait to see what happens next.
- I didn’t see anything about when another book will come out in this series–I hope it’s in the next year.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- M. L. Brennan lives in Connecticut with her husband and three cats. Holding a master’s degree in fiction, she teaches basic composition to college students. After spending years writing and publishing short work in other genres, Brennan decided to branch out and write the kind of book that she loved to read, resulting in the Generation V novels (Tainted Blood, Iron Night, and Generation V).