Tell Me Something Tuesday is a weekly discussion post hosted by Rainy Day Ramblings where a range of topics from books to blogging are discussed.
This week we’re talking about: The things we’re drawn to when choosing our next reads. I’m very much a mood reader so at any one time I have lots of books I’m thinking about reading. However, a book may sit on my Kindle for months (maybe a few years) before I finally decide to read it. Sometimes I forget about it and sometimes I’m just not wanting to read that author or that particular book anymore. So how do I choose what to read next?
Here are the things I consider:
- Other people’s reviews and recommendations–I get a lot of recommendations from other bloggers. I love reading other bloggers’ reviews plus sometimes bloggers recommend a specific book to me either on my blog or on Goodreads.
- The author–If I’ve read other things by an author and liked them I might decide to get another book by the author.
- The next book in a series I love–When I can get the next book in a series that I love I usually like to read the book soon.
- The synopsis–I don’t usually read the whole synopsis since I don’t want to spoil the book, but I do read a little so I have an idea whether it’s the type of book I want to read.
- Books on sale, inexpensive or found at the library–I can’t afford to pay $10 for ebooks (which seems to be the price point these days for a lot ebooks.) (Probably 99% of my books are ebooks or audiobooks these days because it’s easier for me to read and listen to them.) If I can’t find a digital copy at the library or it doesn’t go on sale sometimes I don’t ever read the book.
- Books with exotic settings–Sometimes I like to read books set in places other than the United States (or in a different part of the States than I live). Most of the fantasy and science fiction I read also count as an exotic setting.
- The genre–Sometimes I’m in the mood for a mystery and sometimes a science fiction or fantasy. Occasionally I will read a different genre, but right now I’m reading mostly those three genres.
- Reading challenges–I like to join book challenges each year and sometimes I wouldn’t have found a book that I read except that it fits one of the challenges.
- The cover–Sometimes I’m browsing on Goodreads or Kirkus or another site and I see a great cover which encourages me to find out more about the book. However, I have to confess that I’ve never read a book just because I liked the cover.
Since I was looking for a book to read yesterday I decided to show the books I’m considering reading next & why:
Shadow Dancing by Julie Mulhern–The next book in one of my favorite mystery series.
The Salaryman’s Wife by Sujata Massey–I read a book by this author a few months ago plus this one is set in Japan.
Murder at Cape Three Points by Kwei Quartey–It’s a mystery set in Ghana and the ebook was on sale (but it’s the third in the series)
The Cat Who Walked a Thousand Miles by Kij Johnson–a fantasy short story about a cat and has a great looking cover.
And the book I chose? Shadow Dancing by Julie Mulhern