Another set of mini-reviews from books I read in 2015
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
- The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet #1
- Published 2014, 518 pages
- Science Fiction (space opera)
- Action-packed and fun, rollicking science fiction space opera.
- I read this book as part of Sci-Fi Month 2015 and a read-along in November and even though the last part of November (Thanksgiving) kept me from participating in weeks 3 and 4 of the read-along I loved talking with others about this book. You can check out my week one and week two posts. However, if you plan to read the book watch out for spoilers!
- Reminded me a little of the television series Firefly. The crew of the Wayfarer are all different–not only in looks, but also in their actions and interactions with each other. There are five humans, a sentient artificial intelligence and three other alien lifeforms on the ship. They work together as a crew, but some better than others…lol–for example, one of the humans doesn’t play well with anyone.
- The Wayfayer is a space tunnelling ship creating black holes so ships can move to distant parts of the universe.
- Also lots of action in the book as the Wayfarer travels in space to planets and space stations meeting many species.
- Their ultimate goal is the small, angry planet to complete a tunnelling contract–and no one, but a few have ever seen it. The planet may be angry, but so are the species who claim it.
- Innkeeper Chronicles #2
- Published 2015, 237 pages
- Urban Fantasy set in Texas
- I love just about anything written by Ilona Andrews!
- This is a great series–fun to read. I love the whole innkeeper idea.
- Dina DeMille is the innkeeper and needs more guests to help keep her inn viable. Every other inn has turned down the opportunity to host a peace summit between three warring species because it’s so dangerous and has so many ways it can go wrong.
- She agrees to the summit because she doesn’t have any other options–and then she has to make it work. And that’s not so easy!
- Dina and her Shih Tzu named Beast are fun characters. Beast isn’t what he seems and is quite scary even among the many galactic scary characters. Dina is a very capable innkeeper.
- I didn’t like this book as much as the first book–Clean Sweep
2015 Reading Challenges
- 2015 Goodreads Challenge
- New Author Challenge–hosted by the Literary Escapism blog
Have you read either of these books? How’d you like them?