Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme I take part in when I can think up answers! It’s a great meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish blog. Every week they suggest a new book-related topic. It’s not only fun to think about my list, but to read what other people come up with!
This week I’m talking about the science fiction authors I’m thankful for. I love science fiction because it so often deals with all kinds of new ideas–all kinds of science, new kinds of people, social taboos.
I’ve read sci-fi for almost as long as I remember reading–probably since I was 10 or 11. My older brother was a big influence on my reading since he read lots of science fiction. So my brother is the number one person I’m thankful for since he introduced me to sci-fi!
The authors who started my love for sci-fi
- He’s one of the first sci-fi authors I remember reading. I loved the books often called his juveniles. Books such as Rocket Ship Galileo, Starman Jones and Tunnel in the Sky were instrumental in my love for science fiction and space opera. Podkayne of Mars (sometimes classified in with his juveniles) is of my favorites. When I was an older teen I read The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger in a Strange Land as well as many others. I introduced my kids to his books, too!
Edgar Rice Burroughs
- I remember my brother reading some of Burroughs’ books so I had to read them, too. I remember A Princess of Mars, some of the Venus series, The Moon Maid and some of the Tarzan series.
- I read so many of her books when I was a teenager. I didn’t know until years later that she was a woman. (That makes me especially glad I read her books.) I especially remember The Solar Queen series: especially Sargasso of Space and The Mark of the Cat; The Beast Master, Moon of Three Rings and the Janus series.
- I love how she wrote about animals who were partners to humans and also about Native Americans.
- I read the Pern books about dragons and their riders and loved them.
- I love the connection between the dragons and their riders.
Then I started reading . . .
- Ms. Huff has only written one science fiction series: the Confederation series featuring Torin Kerr. And it’s one of my favorites.
Lois McMaster Bujold
- I love her Miles Vorkosigian series. He’s such a unique individual.
- She’s written several of my favorite sci-fi series: The Serrano Legacy series and Vatta’s War series. They are excellent military sci-fi.
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller
- This husband and wife team write space opera and I’ve been reading their books for years. I’m so glad they’re still writing books taking place in the Liaden Universe.
- He wrote The Postman in 1985–one of my favorite post apocalyptic books.
- He also wrote a series called The Uplift Saga I love and lots of stand-alone books.
And since I started my blog . . .
- I’ve read six of his books in the last two years and love all of them.
Andrea K. Höst
- Her Touchstone series is one of my favorite sci-fi series.
- I’ve read his two books this year and thought both were really good.
What or who are you thankful for?