Magic Shifts by Ilona Andrews
Series: Kate Daniels #8
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Setting: post-Shift Atlanta, Georgia
Published by Ace, 2015
Synopsis: After breaking from life with the Pack, mercenary Kate Daniels and her mate—former Beast Lord Curran Lennart—are adjusting to a very different pace. While they’re thrilled to escape all the infighting, Curran misses the constant challenges of leading the shapeshifters.
So when the Pack offers him its stake in the Mercenary Guild, Curran seizes the opportunity—too bad the Guild wants nothing to do with him and Kate. Luckily, as a veteran merc, Kate can take over any of the Guild’s unfinished jobs in order to bring in money and build their reputation. But what Kate and Curran don’t realize is that the odd jobs they’ve been working are all connected.
An ancient enemy has arisen, and Kate and Curran are the only ones who can stop it—before it takes their city apart piece by piece…
“Where were you? What happened?” I carved a chunk out of another lizard’s face.
“I just took the kids to fight some ghouls,” Curran said.
Oh, so it was fine, then . . . Wait. “You did what?”
He kicked a lizard. It flew into the others like a cannonball. “I called Jim before we left the house to talk about ghouls, and he said they found some in the MARTA tunnels. So I grabbed the kids and did a little hunting.”
I would kill him. “Just so I get it right, Jim calls you and says, ‘Hey, we found a horde of ghouls in the MARTA tunnels,’ and your first thought was, ‘Great, I’ll take the kids’?”
“They had fun.” A careful note crept into his voice. Curran saw the shark fin in the water but wasn’t sure where the bite would be coming from.
“You even took the dog.”
Grendel chose that moment to try to shove past me. I shoved him back into the Guild and he began running back and forth behind us, growling.
“He had fun, too. Look at him. He’s still excited.”
- It’s so good to get back to post-Shift Atlanta and Kate and Curran. I love this series. One of my favorite parts of summer–knowing a new book in this series is coming out.
- It’s interesting to see Curran and Kate now that Curran is no longer the Beast Lord.
- I like the interchanges between Kate and her father. He’s a scary character and it’s hard to figure out his motives.
- As always the humor is lots of fun–especially between Curran and Kate.
- There’s lots of fighting in this book with lots of different and odd creatures. Curran and Kate also are involved with the Mercenary Guild in this book. I’m looking forward to more about the Guild in future books.
- The characters still grow and change even though this is book 8. Kate and Curran have left the Pack, Kate has interacted with her father and lived and Kate claimed Atlanta as hers.
- Have I mentioned I love the relationship between Curran and Kate?
- We learn more about Mahon (who is a Kodiak bear shapeshifter) and Curran’s relationship. Mahon found Curran after his family was killed. He became a surrogate father to Curran and pushed him to become the Beast Lord. They have a complex relationship!
- As I mention below this book feels like a middle book.
And a few thoughts . . .
- In a way, this book is a little like a middle book. The last book was the culmination of a long arc that had continued for a number of the books before–Kate preparing for and finally meeting her father in Magic Breaks.
- This book shows the aftermath of the events in book 7. The overall story moves ahead a little, but a lot of the book shows Kate and Curran settling into their new lives.
- I get the idea the next book (perhaps books) may have many important actions and changes. I can’t wait!
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- “Ilona Andrews” is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade. (Gordon is still sore about that.)
- Gordon and Ilona currently reside in Texas with their two children and many dogs and cats.
- They have co-authored two NYT and USAT bestselling series, the urban fantasy of Kate Daniels and romantic urban fantasy of The Edge and working on the next volumes for both.
- 2015 Goodreads Challenge
- Library Challenge–hosted by Sheila @ the Book Journey blog