by Melissa F. Olson
Series: Boundary Magic #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published by 47 North, May 2015
Synopsis: After her twin sister’s brutal murder, former US Army Sergeant Allison “Lex” Luther vowed to protect her niece, Charlie. So when two vampires try to kidnap the baby, it quickly turns into a fight to the death—Lex’s death, that is.
She wakes up to two shocking discoveries: she has miraculously survived the fight, and baby Charlie is a “null,” gifted with the ability to weaken supernatural forces…and a target for creatures who want to control that power. Determined to guarantee her niece’s safety, Lex makes a deal with the local vampires. She sets out with the mysterious—and undead—“fixer” Quinn to track down whoever’s responsible for the kidnapping, sharpening her newfound magic skills along the way. But the closer she gets to the truth, the more dangerous her powers become.
I rolled my eyes and waited it out, silently pitying the cat burglar who thought he could get into my cabin unnoticed.
But instead of dying down, the tenor of the dogs’ cries changed from their usual ‘There may or may not be an animal in the yard!’ barks to their ‘This is not a drill!’ barks, finally transitioning into their ‘Code human! Code human!’ barks. I trudged toward the front door, but the doorbell rang before I reached the entryway.
My dress had torn a little when I’d fallen, but I still felt like I was on the cover of a goddamned romance novel, getting carried around in my formal gown.
- Ms. Olson has a great opening line for the book: “The third time I died was early on a Monday morning, a week after Labor Day.”
- I enjoyed this book! It’s a start of a new series set in the same world as an earlier series–the Scarlett Bernard series–(set in Los Angeles). This book takes place in Boulder, Colorado.
- I like the main character in this series–Allison “Lex” Luther. She was in the Army and served in Iraq. She was injured there and left the Army after spending a lot of time in the hospital. Her twin sister was murdered in LA (there’s a connection to the Scarlett Bernard series) so Lex has been through a lot. She’s very tough. She knows how to fight and has had anger issues. But she’s learning to live without her sister and despite what happened in Iraq.
- There are vampires, witches and werewolves in this world. Plus nulls who stop or weaken paranormal powers. Nulls are rare and very important in the paranormal world. Whoever controls a null has a valuable tool. That’s why a couple of vampires try to kidnap Lex’s niece since she’s a null. This is Lex’s introduction into the paranormal world when she manages to foil the kidnapping.
- I like that Lex rescues troubled animals and helps heal their physical and emotional traumas. She’s troubled herself since her time in Iraq and the murder of her sister. Rescuing fragile animals helps her, too.
- I hope we learn more about some of the other characters in the series.
And a few thoughts . . .
- This was a Kindle First book for April 2015 so I received it for free because I’m an Amazon Prime member.
- I read the first book in the Scarlett Bernard series–Dead Spots–a couple of years ago and even bought the second book, but it got buried in my TBR books and I haven’t read it yet.
- I plan to go back and read that second book in the Scarlett Bernard series while I wait for the second book in this new series to come out!
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- Ms. Olson was born in Wisconsin and now lives in Madison, Wisconsin, but she went to college in Los Angeles at the University of Southern California and lived in LA for awhile. You can find out all about her books and what she’s writing as well as see her blog by visiting her web page.
- 2015 Goodreads Challenge