The Future Falls
by Tanya Huff
Series: Gale Women #3
Published by DAW Hardcover, 2014
Synopsis: When Auntie Catherine warns the family of an approaching asteroid, the Gales scramble to keep humans from going the way of the dinosaurs. Fortunately for the world, they’re wielding a guitar and a dragon.
The Gale family can change the world with the charms they cast, which has caused some supernaturally complicated family shenanigans in the past. So when NASA and Doomsday Dan confirm Auntie Catherine’s dire prediction, Charlotte “Charlie” Gale turns to the family for help.
But Allie is unavailable because the universe seems determined to have her produce the seventh son of a seventh son of a seventh son of a Gale. And the Aunties can’t help because they’re tied to the earth – although they are happy to provide their delicious, trademark pies. And in the end, all Charlie has is a guitar…
…and Jack. The Dragon Prince, and a Sorcerer.
“Belief is not a required component of ability.”
“There’s always hope, Charlotte, that’s the point of the story.”
- The Gale family is awesome.
- The Aunties are awesome and scary.
- I like Charlie. She was the main character of the last book and I love all the music and the way her music is her magic.
- When Charlie finds out an asteroid is headed toward Earth she isn’t worried because she knows NASA will have already found it and have a problem for stopping it. However, NASA hasn’t found the asteroid in time and things look grim.
- All the different ideas Allie uses to try to find a way to stop the asteroid are a good part of the book. She talks to scientists and other experts as well as her Aunties to find a solution. I like the systematic way she tries to find answers.
- Allie, Charlie, Jack are the younger generation and are great to read about.
- Allie and Jack are really fun to read about in this book.
- I really don’t understand how everything works at the end!
- I thought some of the rules the Aunties have don’t make sense for Jack and Allie.
About the author
- Tanya Huff is a Canadian author who writes fantasy and science fiction books.
And a few thoughts . . .
- I really like Tanya Huff’s writing and enjoy this series. I think I like her Torin Kerr series a little better though.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- 2015 Goodreads Challenge
- Library Challenge–hosted by Sheila @ the Book Journey blog