Burn for Me
by Ilona Andrews
Series: Hidden Legacy #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published by Avon, 2014
Synopsis: Nevada Baylor is faced with the most challenging case of her detective career—a suicide mission to bring in a suspect in a volatile case. Nevada isn’t sure she has the chops. Her quarry is a Prime, the highest rank of magic user, who can set anyone and anything on fire.
Then she’s kidnapped by Connor “Mad” Rogan—a darkly tempting billionaire with equally devastating powers. Torn between wanting to run or surrender to their overwhelming attraction, Nevada must join forces with Rogan to stay alive.
Rogan’s after the same target, so he needs Nevada. But she’s getting under his skin, making him care about someone other than himself for a change. And, as Rogan has learned, love can be as perilous as death, especially in the magic world.
Mad Rogan looked down at my chalk lines. “This is the lousiest circlework I’ve ever seen. Were you drawing with your eyes closed?”
That was it. I threw the chalk at him, got up, marched to the Civic, and got inside. “Drive, Bern. Please.”
To my cousin’s credit, he said nothing about the blood, the bus, or Mad Rogan. He stepped on the gas and drove straight home.
Mad Rogan shook his head. “I’m excellent at only one thing: destruction on a massive scale. Been there, done that, got a lot of fatigue-colored T-shirts. I’ve reached the pinnacle of that career.”
- I loved this book. It’s a great start to a new series. It’s just a fun book to read. It feels like the authors really enjoyed writing it.
- I like the world building and explanations for this world: inherited magic, family business tending to build around the family magic, many types of magic as well as levels of magic, that families tend to look for other families which will match their magic when they marry and have children.
- I love the humor Ilona Andrews always puts in books.
- I love the bond Nevada and her family have. Family is the most important thing to them.
- This is very different from the Kate Daniels series. I love the Kate Daniels series, but if you’re going to write a new series it’s good to make it different. I read “Of Swine and Roses” a short story they wrote a few years ago and loved it. That story percolated in their brains for a while and helped build this world. They are so creative!
- This looks like a paranormal romance from the cover, but this book isn’t a romance though it sounds like the series will end up that way.
- None! This is the type of book I love–adventure, humor, great characters, great world building, and a good story! Their writing just works for me.
And a few thoughts . . .
- I can’t wait for the next book! It looks like the next book will come out sometime next fall. Right now this is planned as a trilogy with the last book a HEA.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- 2014 Goodreads Challenge