Last year I participated in one reading challenge so this year I decided to participate in a few more! They are a fun way to focus on books I might not read (or listen to) otherwise.
Goodreads reading challenge
First off, I’m participating in the Goodreads challenge this year. I’m challenging myself to read 100 books since last year I only read 88 books and for at least the past five years I had read over 100 books. Thus, I want to challenge myself to read at least 100 books in 2014.
New author challenge
This is the challenge I did last year and plan to do again this year. Last year I challenged myself to read 25 new authors and actually read over 30 new authors. I plan to keep my challenge to the same amount this year–25 new-to-me authors.
Here are some of the guidelines:
The idea behind this is to find new authors that you’ve never tried before, not necessarily ones that are debuting. They can be in your genre of choice or be brave and try something new. You never know what you’re going to like until you try it. If you’re looking for some suggestions, you can check out the Author page here at Literary Escapism or the 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013 Challenge pages. With over 1000 reviews posted, I’m sure there will be something there for everyone.
- The challenge will run from January 1, 2014 through December 31, 2014.
- Since this is an author challenge, there is no restriction on choosing your novels. They can definitely be from other challenges. However, the authors must be new to you and, preferably from novels. Anthologies are a great way to try someone new, but only a third of your new authors can be from short stories/novellas or anthologies.
I want to read as many books as possible this year which have been in my TBR pile for awhile so I’m actually signing up for two challenges dealing with TBR books–TBR pile reading challenge and TBR challenge.
TBR pile reading challenge
This challenge is hosted at the Bookish blog. I hope to read 21-30 books from my TBR pile. This is the “First Kiss” level!
- This challenge will run from Jan 1, 2014 – Dec 31, 2014.
- Anyone can enter! You don’t have to be a blogger, as long as you review the book you’ve read! (On your blog, Amazon, Random Buzzers or Goodreads/Shelfari!)
- Any genre, length or format of book counts, as long as it is a book that’s been sitting on your shelf for some time now. Short stories and novellas are OK, too! Only books released in 2013 and earlier! NO 2014 ARCs and 2014 fresh-off-the-press releases allowed!
This reading challenge is hosted by The Misadventures of Super Librarian. For more information and to sign-up, please see this post.
For this challenge I also need to read books from my TBR books, but it has a slightly different ideas for the reading. I hope to complete at least a few of the theme suggestions for the month.
What is the TBR Challenge? Simply put, it’s where readers pick up a long neglected book from their TBR pile, read it, and comment on that read on the 3rd Wednesday of every month. The idea is to read those long neglected books that you just had to get your hands on at the time, but have been languishing in your pile, all lost and forgotten.
Monthly Review Dates And Theme Suggestions
January 15 – We Love Short Shorts! (Short stories, Novellas, category romance)
February 19 – Series Catch-Up (pick a book from a series you’re behind on)
March 19 – New-To-You Author (an author you’ve never read before)
April 16 – Contemporary romance
May 21 – More Than One (An author who has more than one book in your TBR pile)
June 18 – Romance Classics (classic book, classic author, classic trope/theme etc.)
July 16 – Lovely RITA (past RITA winners or nominees)
August 20 – Luscious Love Scenes (erotic romance, erotica, a “sensual” read – leave those “just kisses” books alone this month!)
September 17 – Recommended read (a book recommended to you by someone)
October 15 – Paranormal or romantic suspense
November 19 – Historical romance
December 17 – Holiday themes (Christmas, Thanksgiving, Valentine’s Day, it’s all good!)
2014 audiobook challenge
This challenge is hosted by Hot Listens and The Book Nympho blogs.
Last year I didn’t finish listening to any audiobooks. I would like to remedy that by challenging myself to listen to 5-10 audiobooks which is the “Weekend Warrior” level.
Some of the challenge details:
- Runs January 1, 2014 – December 31, 2014. You can join at anytime.
- The goal is to find a new love for audios or to outdo yourself by listening to more audios in 2014 than you did in 2013.
- Books must be in audio format (CD, MP3, etc.)
- ANY genres count.
- Re-reads and crossovers from other reading challenges are allowed.
I will keep track of my progress on these reading challenges on a separate Reading Challenges page.
Please go to any of these blogs for more information about a specific reading challenge and to sign-up for any which interest you.
Tomorrow I plan to add a couple more reading challenges to my list!