by Patricia Briggs
Series: Mercy Thompson world
Genre: short stories
Published by Ace Hardcover, 2014
Synopsis: Mercy Thompson’s world just got a whole lot bigger…
A collection of all-new and previously published short stories featuring Mercy Thompson, “one of the best heroines in the urban fantasy genre today” (Fiction Vixen Book Reviews), and the characters she calls friends…
Includes the new stories…
“Roses in Winter”
…and reader favorites
“Alpha and Omega”
“The Star of David”
“In Red, with Pearls”
Bran nodded at Charles. Charles looked at the prisoners and smiled. Asil had practiced in a mirror, trying to get that smile. His own were very good, but he hadn’t gotten quite the same “I’d rather rip you to little pieces, but my father says I can’t—yet” effect. Asil was better at the “I’m crazy, and you are about to die.
The Prophet database (of course, the whole IT—computer geek—world called it the For-Profit database) was well written, but all the programs the mother company tried to sell with it were garbage.
- I don’t read short stories very often, because I usually don’t like them, but a few authors like Patricia Briggs, Ilona Andrews and Mary Balogh write short stories and novellas which really work for me. These are no exception and I’m so glad I read them.
- I like the background Patricia Briggs gives for each story.
- The stories begin with the earliest to the most recent.
- Most of these stories were new to me which is great. I had only read “Alpha and Omega” before which is the short story where Anna is introduced. And the beginning of the Alpha and Omega series which is also a very good series set in Mercy’s world, but with Charles and Anna as protagonists.
- I love every story in this book. It’s hard to choose a favorite, but probably my favorite is “Rose in Winter.” About a young female werewolf named Kara who has trouble controlling her change.
- There are stories about witches, vampires, the Fae and, of course, werewolves. There’s also a story about Mercy! And some outtakes from two of the Mercy books. Good stuff.
- None…except I could have read a dozen more stories about different characters in Mercy’s world!
And a few thoughts . . .
- These stores are so good. It whets my appetite for the next book in the series–Dead Heat, book 4 in the Alpha & Omega series. And it makes me want to go back and read all the books in the series again since I realize I’ve forgotten quite a few things. I may re-read the books this year.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- 2014Goodreads Challenge
- The 100th book I’ve read this year!
- I’ve met the challenge I made for myself on Goodreads though without much time to spare.