by Jayne Ann Krentz
Series: None as far as I know
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Published by Putnam Adult, 2014
Synopsis: It’s been thirteen years since Lucy Sheridan was in Summer River. The last time she visited her aunt Sara there, as a teenager, she’d been sent home suddenly after being dragged out of a wild party—by the guy she had a crush on, just to make it more embarrassing. Obviously Mason Fletcher—only a few years older but somehow a lot more of a grown-up—was the overprotective type who thought he had to come to her rescue.
Now, returning after her aunt’s fatal car accident, Lucy is learning there was more to the story than she realized at the time. Mason had saved her from a very nasty crime that night—and soon afterward, Tristan, the cold-blooded rich kid who’d targeted her, disappeared mysteriously, his body never found.
A lot has changed in thirteen years. Lucy now works for a private investigation firm as a forensic genealogist, while Mason has quit the police force to run a successful security firm with his brother—though he still knows his way around a wrench when he fills in at his uncle’s local hardware store. Even Summer River has changed, from a sleepy farm town into a trendy upscale spot in California’s wine country. But Mason is still a protector at heart, a serious (and seriously attractive) man. And when he and Lucy make a shocking discovery inside Sara’s house, and some of Tristan’s old friends start acting suspicious, Mason’s quietly fierce instincts kick into gear. He saved Lucy once, and he’ll save her again. But this time, she insists on playing a role in her own rescue . . .
“Damn,” he said softly. “This is going to get complicated.”
“No kidding,” Deke said. “I think we just got stuck with the check.”
“You said none of those arranged matches got past two dates, right?”
“Right. Most didn’t get past the first date, actually.”
“We are now on date number three. Given your track record, that constitutes a relationship.”
- Jayne Ann Krentz writes books that are quick, fun reads. Her books are comfort reads for me.
- This book is a classic Jayne Ann Krentz. I love her characters.
- Mason is an alpha male. I like to read that type in a romance sometimes!
- Lucy is a strong heroine and she tells Mason when he’s overbearing or overprotective. And he listens!
- The attraction between Mason and Lucy is mutual, but neither is sure about the other. I especially like that Mason is insecure and doesn’t want to mess this up by doing things Lucy doesn’t like. He’s an alpha male who’s willing to listen, learn and change when it matters to him.
- I like the mystery. I figured most of it out, but not all of it and almost at the end of the book.
- The end is a little flat for me.
And a few thoughts . . .
- I haven’t read a book by Ms. Krentz for quite a while. I have paper copies of a lot of her books which I periodically read (or did when I read more paper books).
- This was a good summer read. I haven’t read a romantic suspense lately and this one works for me.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- COYER Summer Vacation hosted by Berls @Fantasy is More Fun and Michelle @ Because Reading
- The Book Bingo Challenge.