by Janet Edwards
Series: Earth Girl, Book 2
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Published by Harper Voyager, 2013
Synopsis: 18-year-old Jarra has a lot to prove. After being awarded one of the military’s highest honours for her role in a daring rescue attempt, Jarra finds herself – and her Ape status – in the spotlight. Jarra is one of the unlucky few born with an immune system that cannot survive on other planets. Derided as an ‘ape’ – a ‘throwback’ – by the rest of the universe, Jarra is on a mission to prove that Earth Girls are just as good as anyone else.
Except now the planet she loves is under threat by what could be humanity’s first ever alien contact. Jarra’s bravery – and specialist knowledge – will once again be at the centre of the maelstrom, but will the rest of the universe consider Earth worth fighting for?
Being afraid of an impact suit seemed such a small thing, but it could systematically wreck my life. I wasn’t going to let that happen. I had three days before I needed to wear an impact suit again. Three days to force myself past my fear and into the suit that had tried to murder me. I could do that. I had to do that. It was the only way.
“…Every school teaches the basic logic and objectives of the Alien Contact programme. I remind everyone of Premise One. Conflict should be avoided if possible, since attacking an alien race of inferior technology is unnecessary, while attacking one of superior technology could result in the extinction of the human race.”
- Another action packed book.
- Jarra is such a likeable character. She’s brave, strong, independent, full of integrity. She figures out what needs to be done and does it.
- I love the slang–“…if you were grazzed…” “…totally zan!” “…an amaz thought”
- There’s some romance in the book, but that isn’t the focus. (Which is a positive for me!)
- Even though (or for some people maybe because) Jarra did heroic acts in the first book there are still lots of people who don’t want to associate with an “Ape” (the derogatory name for Earthlings.)
- We don’t find out a lot about the aliens during this book.
And a few thoughts . . .
- I mentioned in my review of Earth Girl that the third book in this series is coming out in August 2014. Unfortunately, that date is for publication in England and a few other places other than the United States! I haven’t heard the publish date for the U.S. 🙁
- I want to read book 3 soon! I hope we will soon learn the release date for the U.S.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- The Book Bingo Challenge.