by Ilona Andrews
Series: Innkeeper Chronicles, Book 1
Genre: urban fantasy
Published by Ilona Andrews, 2013
Synopsis: On the outside, Dina Demille is the epitome of normal. She runs a quaint Victorian Bed and Breakfast in a small Texas town, owns a Shih Tzu named Beast, and is a perfect neighbor, whose biggest problem should be what to serve her guests for breakfast. But Dina is…different: Her broom is a deadly weapon; her Inn is magic and thinks for itself. Meant to be a lodging for otherworldly visitors, the only permanent guest is a retired Galactic aristocrat who can’t leave the grounds because she’s responsible for the deaths of millions and someone might shoot her on sight. Under the circumstances, “normal” is a bit of a stretch for Dina.
And now, something with wicked claws and deepwater teeth has begun to hunt at night….Feeling responsible for her neighbors, Dina decides to get involved. Before long, she has to juggle dealing with the annoyingly attractive, ex-military, new neighbor, Sean Evans—an alpha-strain werewolf—and the equally arresting cosmic vampire soldier, Arland, while trying to keep her inn and its guests safe. But the enemy she’s facing is unlike anything she’s ever encountered before. It’s smart, vicious, and lethal, and putting herself between this creature and her neighbors might just cost her everything.
In my experience, the ex-military guys came in two types. The first grew long hair, sprouted beards, and indulged in all the things they hadn’t been able do while they’d been in the armed forces. The second did their best to pretend they never got out.
The woman stared at the ruined body. Blood dripped from her arm. A fine spray of red covered her face –must’ve been cast off when she slammed down the cans. She wiped her face with her left forearm and kicked the stalker’s corpse with her sneakered foot. “Don’t mess with Texas.”
What works for me
- I love it! Just fun to read.
- Ilona Andrews…a favorite author. This husband-wife team write such fun characters and interesting urban fantasy. As I read this I thought “they really enjoyed writing this. This was for fun.”
- Not a book to take too seriously.
- There’s a little romance. I like the chemistry between Dina and Sean and Dina and Arland. This isn’t really a love triangle (which I don’t like). Very low key…two guys interested…and she’s a little interested in them. Ilona Andrews does a good job making these characters interesting and likeable with an edge of danger.
- The author is writing a sequel–Yay 🙂
- Dina is a fun character. We haven’t found out everything about her which is great. I’m looking forward to more books and finding out more about Dina and the world she lives in.
- The Innkeeper concept is interesting. It works and makes an interesting background for the story.
What doesn’t work
- Nothing to report!
The authors released this book as a serial on their blog for free each week. I didn’t read it at that time. The book was for sale on Amazon when I found it. Ilona Andrews is again releasing the second book–Sweep in Peace–in the Innkeeper series as a weekly serial.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
I’m participating in the Book Bingo Challenge (using a series square for this book).