by Cassie Alexander
Series: Edie Spence #5
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Published by St. Martin Paperbacks, 2014
Synopsis: Ambushed. Blindfolded. Kidnapped by vampires. Edie Spence must race against time to save herself and her baby—from the nightmare that flows through her veins…
As a nurse in the hospital’s secret Y4 ward, Edie has seen her share of daytimers. Once-ordinary humans who’ve tasted vampire blood, daytimers are doomed to serve their nighttime masters. Forever. And now Edie has to face something even more horrifying: she’s become one too…
Abducted by the vampire, Raven, Edie is taken to the catacombs beneath the Catacombs, an ironically-named L.A. night club that supplies fresh blood and other favors for its vampire Masters. Edie has no intention of swapping her nurse’s uniform for a cocktail dress—not when her newborn infant needs her. But if she and Asher—her shapeshifter fiancé—can’t figure out a way to bleed Raven’s power, they may never get out of this plasma-soaked pleasure palace…undead or alive.
Maybe being a daytimer meant getting to eat all the hamburgers you wanted, hooray.
- This book begins where the last book ended and everything which happened in that book is the reason for this book.
- The world building is quite original in this series and I enjoy each new book.
- Edie needs to figure out why Raven agreed to take her on as daytimer. She also discovers lots is happening among this group of vampires and daytimers. She needs to figure out about that, too.
- Edie found out she was pregnant near the end of the last book. That ups the stakes for her since she needs to protect her baby from the vampires and daytimers.
- Edie is able to find some empathy for some of the daytimers she interacts with–even though she doesn’t trust any of them.
- We don’t get a series ending which I’m unhappy about. The book has a satisfying ending, but is written with at least one more book in mind so it leaves lots of questions not answered.
And a few thoughts . . .
- I’m so sad this seems to be the last Edie Spence book. I really like the series. I guess it doesn’t have a big enough fan base. 🙁
- From checking Ms. Alexander’s blog, she is writing other fiction. She has two erotica books available now and is working on a YA series.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
Reading Challenges . . .
- COYER Summer Vacation hosted by Berls @Fantasy is More Fun and Michelle @ Because Reading
- The Book Bingo Challenge.