Reading Up a Storm by Eva Gates
Series: Lighthouse Library Mystery #3
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Setting: North Carolina Outer Banks
Published by NAL, 2016
Format: e-Arc (Release Date: April 5)
–I received a review copy of this book from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. The opinions stated here are entirely my own.
Synopsis: Misfortune blows into North Carolina’s Outer Banks when a dead body in a boat on the shore leaves local librarian Lucy Richardson racing to solve a strange new mystery….
After a successful party at Bodie Island’s Lighthouse Library, librarian Lucy Richardson is ready to curl up with her cat, Charles, and a good book. But her R and R is cut short when she notices some mysterious lights leading a small boat to crash into the coast.
The two shipwrecked seafarers survive the ordeal—but one of them shows up dead ashore a few days later. Lucy finds herself again roped into a murder investigation and navigating a sea of suspects, all of whom had motives to deep-six the deceased. And this time, she has a sinking feeling that finding the real killer won’t be so easy…
- A fun cozy which takes place in a lighthouse library on the Outer Banks of North Carolina! What a great setting.
- Lucy Richardson is a librarian at Bodie Island’s Lighthouse Library. She also lives in the lighthouse. When she looks out the lighthouse window during a storm she sees strange lights which seem to steer a boat into crashing on the beach.
- She calls the Coast Guard and the two people in the boat are rescued. However, one of them is found dead near the lighthouse a few days later.
- Lucy finds herself in the middle of an investigation with lots of suspects.
- Even though I haven’t read the first two mysteries in this series I didn’t have trouble following the story or characters. I do want to read the earlier books in the series.
- I love the idea of a library in a lighthouse! I realize that’s more fantasy than reality, but such a fun fantasy.
- Charles, the cat, is a great character!
- This has a good mystery.
- The setting in North Carolina Outer Banks is a great location to read about. The setting for cozy mysteries is often one of my favorite aspects of a book and that is true of this book. I love the lighthouse and the ocean aspect.
- I must admit I like the Constable Molly Smith series better, but still plan to read more of this series. I like police procedurals better than cozys.
And concluding thoughts . . .
- I found out about Eva Gates and this series because I read the first two books in the Constable Molly Smith series by Vicki Delany in February 2016.
- When I went looking for more books by Ms. Delany I discovered she also wrote a series under the pseudonym Eva Gates and that a new book was scheduled for publication at the end of March. When I saw the book on NetGalley it was serendipity!
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- Eva Gates is the author of the Lighthouse Library cozy series from Penguin Obsidian, set in a historic lighthouse on the Outer Banks of North Carolina, featuring Boston-transplant librarian, and highly reluctant sleuth, Lucy Richardson. The first in the series, By Book or By Crook, was released in February 2015. Eva is the pen name of bestselling author Vicki Delany, one of Canada’s most prolific and varied crime writers.
- 2016 Goodreads Challenge
- Cloak & Dagger Mystery Challenge– hosted by Stormi @ Books, Movies, Reviews! Oh My! and Barb @ Booker T’s Farm
- Netgalley & Edelweiss Reading Challenge–hosted by Falling for YA
- New Release Challenge–hosted by Lexxie at Unconventional Book Views and Stormi @ Books, Movies, Reviews Oh My!