No Good Dragon Goes Unpunished by Rachel Aaron
Series: Heartstrikers #3
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Setting: Heartstriker Mountain, Desert Southwest, Detroit DFZ
Published by Aaron/Bach, LLC
Format: e-Arc (Release Date: August 5, 2016)
–I received a review copy of this book from the Author in exchange for an honest review. The opinions stated here are entirely my own.
Synopsis: When Julius overthrew his mother and took control of his clan, he thought he was doing right by everyone. But sharing power isn’t part of any proper dragon’s vocabulary, and with one seat still open on the new ruling Council, all of Heartstriker is ready to do whatever it takes to get their claws on it, including killing the Nice Dragon who got them into this mess in the first place.
To keep his clan together and his skin intact, Julius is going to have to find a way to make his bloodthirsty siblings play fair. But there’s more going on in Heartstriker Mountain than politics. Every family has its secrets, but the skeletons in Bethesda’s closet are dragon sized, and with Algonquin’s war looming over them all, breaking his clan wide open might just be the only hope Julius has of saving it.
- I loved this book. One of my favorites so far this year. It’s a great addition to the series!
- The book picks up right where the last book ended. Julius beat his mother and could have killed her, but he has a vision for his clan–to live peacefully together.
- He has created a three member council which will rule the Heartstrikers. He and his mother are two members, but they still need to vote for the third member.
- The Heartstriker dragons have never encountered an idea like Julius’ and they don’t like it. All the Heartstriker dragons have returned to Heartstriker Mountain and most of them are ready to kill each other and/or Julius.
- Algonquin has declared war on the dragons so the Heartstriker dragons need to present a unified front. But with so many dragons trying to kill each other and Julius is that possible?
- The book takes place during just a few days, but they are action-packed days.
- So many great characters in these books–especially Bob, Amelia, Chelsie, Svena, Ghost and, of course, Marcie and Julius.
- New characters are introduced in this book and they’re very interesting, too. I really like Raven. He’s very devious and has his own agenda.
- The book has many twists and turns. It’s hard to see how Julius can really use democratic methods with the dragons.
- Most of the dragons have lived for hundreds of years and they have many secrets to keep. Amelia, Bob and Chelsie all have secrets that are part of this story.
- I like the way Rachel Aaron puts a story together. Her books are very readable and well plotted.
- By the end of the book I’m not sure how or if everything will hold together for the Heartstrikers.
- There will be at least one more book in this series. It’s good to know the author has things figured out for the series! Though I don’t want to see the series end.
- None–other than having to wait for book 4!
And concluding thoughts . . .
- I can’t wait for the next book. This is such a great series and I’m really invested in these characters.
- The audiobook is coming out September 13 and is available now for preorder. These would be fun books to listen to in audio, I think.
- The ebook is available on Kindle Unlimited which is great if you are a subscriber to that.
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- Rachel Aaron is the author of 11 novels, including the Fantasy fan favorites THE LEGEND OF ELI MONPRESS and NICE DRAGONS FINISH LAST. She also writes romantic Science Fiction under the name Rachel Bach, starting with FORTUNE’S PAWN, a high octane romantic adventure about a powered armor mercenary who gets in way over her head, published by Orbit Books.
- In addition to her fiction, Rachel is also known for her bestselling writing efficiency book 2K TO 10K: WRITING BETTER, WRITING FASTER, AND WRITING MORE OF WHAT YOU LOVE. To learn more about Rachel and all her titles, visit www.rachelaaron.net!
- Author Links
- 2016 Goodreads Challenge
- New Release Challenge–hosted by Lexxie at Unconventional Book Views and Stormi @ Books, Movies, Reviews Oh My!