“Envy of Angels” by Matt Wallace
Series: Sin du Jour #1
Genre: Urban Fantasy novella
Setting: New York City
Published by Tor.com, 2015
Synopsis: In New York, eating out can be hell.
Everyone loves a well-catered event, and the supernatural community is no different, but where do demons go to satisfy their culinary cravings?
Welcome to Sin du Jour – where devils on horseback are the clients, not the dish.
“Most important rule of working here,” he tells her. “Just when you think you’ve got a handle on how fucking sick the universe’s sense of humor is, it goes and tells you an even dirtier joke.”
At some point the ground beneath their feet disappears and all four of them are slipping through.
The entire world has become a child’s playpen.
There’s no bottom.
- What a fun, strange book!
- Lena and Darren are unemployed cooks, because they’re blackballed in NYC.
- They have to find something soon or they’re going to have to go outside of NYC.
- They get an opportunity to work for at least a week with an iconic chef.
- Sin du Jour is a private club that caters to demons. Lena and Darren don’t know demons exist or anything about Sin du Jour before they start working, but they find out!
- It’s ironic and satiric and even silly sometimes. Just a lot of fun!
- This was a little like watching a reality TV cooking show–maybe Hell’s Kitchen–if there were demons!
- Funny, but also some horror vibes to the story as I wasn’t sure exactly what was going to happen.
- Written in present tense–gives an immediacy to the story as though it’s happening right now. Also the story is told with detachment toward the characters. I didn’t feel very close to them so I felt every character was in danger. That really works for this story.
- There’s not a lot of world building. I hope there’s more world building in the next book, because this world has lots of promise.
And concluding thoughts . . .
- The second novella was published in January and the third one is coming out later this month.
- Since 2015 Tor.com has been publishing novellas from a number of authors. I really like that they are doing this. I can try new authors and read authors I already like in a shorter version which means I can read more new fiction!
Have you read this book? How did you like it?
- 2016 Goodreads Challenge
- New Author Challenge–hosted by the Literary Escapism blog
- Science Fiction/Fantasy Bingo Reading Challenge–hosted by the B&N Sci-Fi & Fantasy Blog– Sci Fi Fantasy Humor